This module will prepare family support professionals and others to educate families and caregivers about the risks and consequences of Shaken Baby Syndrome and to support individuals who may be at higher risk for abusing children.
Participants will learn the reasons that babies are at risk for Shaken Baby Syndrome and the caregiver risk factors that lead to abuse. They’ll also learn prevention and education techniques they can use with families.
- Explain the reasons that babies are at risk for Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Describe the developmental basis for crying.
- Identify risk factors and triggers that may lead to abuse.
- Describe prevention and education techniques that can be used with families.
- Discuss strategies for talking about abusive head trauma (SBS) with families.
- Describe the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.