Home Visiting is a generally safe area of practice. Occasionally, though, situations come up where a home visitor may be in an unsafe setting. This module will give home visitors an overview of personal safety, describing what factors contribute to unsafe situations while travelling to and from the home visit and while in the home. The home visitor will learn how to prepare for home visitors to ensure their safety and to recognize and avoid unsafe situations. The module will also show demonstrations of basic self- defense techniques.
This module is not a definitive or comprehensive personal safety or self-defense course. The home visitor’s supervisor should give additional guidance to ensure the home visitor’s safety.
- List steps to ensure personal safety
- List potential dangers to home visitors
- Identify strategies for coping with these dangers
- Describe basic safety and self-defense measures for home visitors
- List basic health precautions that protect home visitors and their clients
- Describe agency policies and procedures that support home visitor safety