This 45-minute module introduces family support professionals to federal and state requirements for developing Plans of Safe Care for substance-exposed infants (SEI), trains them to work with mothers, families and other providers to create a POSC during and after pregnancy, and supports mothers and families in implementing the POSC.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- understand federal and state laws regarding maternal substance use
- identify service needs specific to families/mothers and infants born after intrauterine exposure to substances
- develop a comprehensive Plan of Safe Care to address mother’s and infant’s needs before, during and after pregnancy
- name other agencies/referral sources that should be involved in creating a Plan of Safe Care treatment team and how to engage them, and
- understand how to implement a Plan of Safe Care and recognize when it should be revised