This module describes the disease model of addiction and the impact substance use and addiction have on women and their unborn babies, infants and children. Participants will learn about the home visitor role in identifying possible substance use, making referrals and helping clients overcome barriers to treatment. The module includes a video about Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome and soothing techniques home visitors can teach their clients. Finally, the module discusses important substance use legislation that all home visitors must know.
- List common drugs of abuse
- List signs of possible drug use or manufacture
- Understand role age and gender play in substance use and addiction
- Discuss risks and effects for pregnant women, unborn babies, newborns, children and families.
- Describe strategies for educating women about substance use, helping them overcome barriers to treatment, and connecting them to resources for diagnosis and treatment.
- Describe Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome and strategies mothers can use to soothe their babies
- Describe important substance use legislation